Real world applications of artificial intelligence (AI) have been showcased over the last few decades for their incredible and amazing achievements. At the time, it was almost impossible to believe that a computer could beat a chess grandmaster or answer trivia questions faster than former Jeopardy! champions. AI has since been embedded in many everyday applications, helping us develop unique solutions to complex issues in industries such as manufacturing, healthcare, and transportation. More recent progress in AI has led to a number of transformations in the digital marketing industry, with AI-generated content becoming the latest innovation. Although AI-generated content can be a valuable tool, it’s important that marketers understand how best to use it so they can responsibly and successfully integrate it into their marketing strategies.
How is AI-generated content helpful to marketers?
By utilizing established search engine information, AI tools such as OpenAI’s ChatGPT can generate distinctive content from people’s search queries on various keywords, phrases, or topics. In addition to text, images and videos can also be created using AI technology. These AI tools are helpful to marketers as they can:
- Enhance content generation:
- Assist with brainstorming content ideas or generating rough outlines.
- Help with data and statistics research.
- Provide editing tips for brand voice consistency.
- Improve efficiencies and SEO:
- Provide speedy results to help jumpstart content development.
- Repurpose long-form content into snackable formats.
- Identify specific keyword clusters and formatting (since AI pulls from existing content that is already SEO-optimized)
- Improve personalization:
- Generate tailored content to meet the specific needs of your target audience.
- Extend personalization beyond text to include images and video.
- Analyze buyer data (using AI) to increase knowledge of buyer preferences and needs to help with content customization.
What are AI verification tools?
AI verification tools work to distinguish between content created by humans and AI-generated content by using machine learning and natural processing to identify patterns. They analyze components such as linguistic patterns, semantic structures, and stylistic elements. Content that follows a more predictable pattern will be classified by these tools as AI-generated. Although there are not any established guidelines to detect AI-generated text, HubSpot suggests there are some identifying factors:
- Repetition of words and phrases
- Lack of depth
- Inaccurate and outdated information
- Format and structure (human-written text will likely have more typos and use informal or casual language)
It is more difficult to determine if images or videos are AI-generated, however some common signs include textured backgrounds, overall image sharpness, asymmetry in human faces, noticeable background text, and signs of artists’ watermarks.
Why are AI verification tools necessary?
Does it matter if marketers use AI to generate content? AI tools used to generate content can make mistakes by using unreliable or biased sources, plagiarizing material, or misunderstanding context. As a result, AI-generated content should always be checked for accuracy and factualness to ensure its legitimacy, ordinality, and authenticity. Unverified AI-generated content can lead to potentially harmful consequences due to widespread disinformation, manipulation, and copyright issues. Although AI verification tools are not 100% accurate, they can give you some direction in understanding if content is AI-generated.
What is the impact for marketers?
Buyers need to know that they can trust what they read and watch. Marketers have a responsibility to ensure that the AI-generated content they use is legitimate and true. A good start is to use a balance of automation and human expertise, and to come up with a list of guidelines to follow, such as:
- Check content against reliable sources.
- Evaluate content regularly for potential bias.
- Ensure content is edited using human expertise.
- Identify those sections in your content that are AI-generated.
For marketers interested in using AI to generate content, Google recommends evaluating your content for the qualities of E-E-A-T (expertise, experience, authoritativeness, and trustworthiness) to help ensure you are creating reliable, helpful, and people-first content.
Interested in finding out more about ensuring the authenticity of your AI-generated content? Contact us to get started.